Practicing safety is vital for each and every workplace. A safe work environment encourages employees to identify unsafe behaviors and opportunities for improvement, while also making well-informed safety decisions during daily routine tasks. Here are some workplace safety tips that every employee should abide by.
- Understand Your Surroundings. Once you know the particular hazard areas of your job or workplace you can take the appropriate steps to reduce your risks of injury while working.
- Keep Emergency Kits and Exits Easily Accessible. In case of an emergency, you will need quick and easy access to resources and exits. It is also recommended that you keep clear access to equipment shutoffs in case you need to quickly stop them from functioning.
- Report Unsafe Conditions to Your Supervisor. Your supervisors are legally obligated to ensure their employees have a safe working environment and will take care of any unsafe conditions for you and your coworkers.
- Take Regular breaks. Many work-related injuries occur because employees are tired and less aware of their surroundings. Be sure to schedule difficult tasks when your concentration is at it's peak, for example first thing in the morning, verses the end of the day.
- Maintain Correct Posture. If you work at a desk keep your shoulders in line with your hips and maintain an upright position with your feet flat on the floor to avoid back problems. Also, avoid injuring your back by keeping correct form when lifting and picking up items.
- Reduce Workplace Stress. Stress can lead to depression and concentration problems, resulting in errors and possible injuries.
- Stay Sober. Three percent of workplace fatalities occur due to alcohol and drugs. Eliminate this by balancing your workload and hours, and maintaining a healthy workplace environment.
Safety is everyone’s responsibility. Share workplace injury statistics and provide incentives that reward employees for exemplifying great workplace safety behaviors. Encouraging everyone to become active members in the process can help reduce liabilities tremendously. Call Kipper Insurance Agency today to discuss safety standards in the workplace and begin planning the right steps to avoid liabilities (760)471-2200!