Space heaters are an efficient and cost-effective way to stay warm. With a focused range of heat, they are an attractive way to drive away the winter chill. Space heaters are also the cause of 32% of home heating fires. To help protect your home and keep you warm, here are a few safety concerns to keep in mind when using this heating alternative.
Keep the Area
Space heaters come in many varieties, such as hot coil, oil, fan, or bulb heaters. Regardless of the heating source, the element becomes warm very quickly. To prevent a fire, keep the heater far away from flammable objects, such as bedding, curtains, papers, or clothing.
Keep it Out of Reach
Store the heater in an open, high space area that is easy to see from anywhere in the room. If there are pets or children in the house, make sure it is well out of their reach. If they accidentally knock the heater over, it could not only cause them injury, but it could cause an immediate home fire.
Don’t Overload the Plug
Using too many high-wattage appliances at a time leads to overheating and increases risk if fire. Think carefully about the energy sources in your room and use a different circuit or outlet for the space heater. If you can, try to move other high-energy outlets to another place.
Stay In the Room
Never, ever leave a space heater on in a room that is unattended. Even if children or pets are not around, the heater could fall or tip over on its own. If no one is there to turn it back over, a fire could start quicker than you would imagine. If you must leave the room, turn it off. It will be easy to turn back on once you return, then dealing with a fire in your home.
Quality is Key
If the space heater is used or old, check the plug and other areas for tears. If the heater is worn, especially in the cord area, consider throwing it away and buying a new one. The chance of a fire occuring is greatly increased with the use of faulty equipment. Usually, investing in a new space heater will still save you more money than running a whole-house heating system. You just can’t put a cost on piece of mind.
Most fires are preventable if the proper safety measures are taken. By following these simple tips, you can keep your family both warm and hazard-free this holiday season. Another way to keep your home safe this holiday season is to make sure your home insurance is up to date. We at Kipper Insurance would be happy to meet with to discuss the policy that works best for you and your family. Give us a call today (760)471-2200.